Friday, August 10, 2012

Gee's Bend Candle Mat

That is the name of the swap I am on.  Gee's Bend is a place in Alabama where the women there made some quilts out of any scrap material they could find and would make them for their family, for warmth etc. It began out of necessity years back and I believe they are still making them.

The idea of the craft for us was to make a "candle Mat" using the same idea as the ladies of Gee's Bend. You can google them to see some of their work in museums.  I did mine of Christmas fabric scraps I had.  They did their quilts with denim, wool scraps, anything they had on hand, even old clothes  torn up. 
I don't exactly know what a "candle Mat" is except to put a candle on it, I guess.  A lot of craftors make mats like this and call them "coffee mats".  Ah well, it was a challenge for me so I participated.
This being a Christmas motif, my swapper can use it as a "hot cider mat"  :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it would look very nice with a fat red Christmas candle on it -- maybe your partner will think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, a Candle Mat. I just got a request to make a couple
    of them for my daughter. Nice to know that.

    ReplyDelete