Friday, June 1, 2012

A Gift To Myself

Several or many years ago as my DH and I were traveling via an RV, we stopped in Savannah, Georgia. A wonderful old town, gets a little touristy, but believe it or not I love going to their cemetery.  There are some beautiful works of art in the tombstones and grave sites there.  I am sure many who have gone to Savannah have been to Bonaventure Cemetery.
In the cemetery at the time I went was a lovely statue of the Bird lady.  She was photographed for a cover of the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".  After the book was published and a movie made, this statue became very popular and little by little people would chip off pieces as mementos. (Not a classy thing to do).  So, the people of Savannah decided to send this statue to a safer place and is now in their museum.    The lady is holding out her hands and in each is suppose to be water in one and seeds in the other for the birds.  Thus being named Bird Lady.
I should have bought one when I was in Savannah but then I was traveling light.



So, today I happen to be in a stone yard and I saw a glimpse of a BirdGirl.  She is younger looking and a little different but she reminds me of the BirdLady so I bought her to my home. Reminds me now of Savannah, a lovely victorian  place, with architecture and finery in abundance.
By the way, I did not care for the book or the movie but sure love the cover on the book.
   Photo taken at the Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia

1 comment:

  1. I love it! It reminds me of the Water Girl my mother had.

    ReplyDelete