Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My 1600 inch strip Quilt top


A new direction in quilting for me. Easy now, but frustrated me a little in the beginning.
My girlfriend told me to check out a video on a 1600 inch quilting site.
She said she did one of these tops at a retreat and did it in 35 minutes.
Well, right up my alley. So I checked it out.
Bought myself a 40 strip jellyroll and started. However, without going into
detail it took me 2 hrs. the first day, 2 hours the second day and 35 mins. the
third day but I completed a top. Not ironed as yet.
As I said before I consider myself to be a novice at quilting.I may, now that
I understand the idea better I may even try to do another.
These seem perfect for those that make quilts for different organizations to
give away or to raffle off.
Thank you Ramona! (I think) More to come!

7 comments:

  1. Thirty-five minutes to sew that many strips together? Was the sewing machine smoking when she had finished? That's zippig along at an amazing speed. Four hours and thirty-five minutes may be a little slow but for a first attempt not to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't that fun? I have to do another one! Its sewing the strip ends together that takes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane -- I appreciate quilts and quilters. I think finishing that quilt top in such a short period of time is amazing. And beautiful too. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilting project! A friend of mine wants me to begin quilting so we can talk about it. She even sent money for me to take a class! What a friend! And I've started collecting a stash already...I can tell quilting is addictive. Thanks so much for stopping by. Looks as if we have lots of interests in common. I've never gone by swap-bot, but it sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion. You're right: our house is full of vintage, antique shop, thrift store and by-the-side-of-the-road treasures. Ah, the thrill of the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt I love how colourful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks beautiful. Have you made any others?

    ReplyDelete